June 23, 1907 - Military
park on a June Evening
From: Rider's Newark 1916
Military Park is a long narrow triangle extending southward about three city blocks from the Hudson Tubes. It is bounded by Broad Street on the west and the L-shaped Park Place on the north and east. This park was the original Common and Training Ground, dating from the first foundation of the colony. The park contains the following statues and other memorials:
1. a bronze statue, heroic size of Frederick T. Frelinghuysen (1817-1885), Attorney General of New Jersey, U. S. Senator, and Secretary of State (erected, 1904, by the citizens of Newark, Karl Gerhardt was the sculptor)
2. a life-size bronze statue of Philip Kearny, Brigadier-General in the Civil War and commander of the First New Jersey Brigade, who died in the battle of Chantilly, Sept 1, 1862 (erected 1880, Henry Kirke Brown sculptor)
3. a bronze trophy howitzer, from Morro Castle, at entrance to Santiago Harbor, captured 1898
4. a boulder with the tablet in commemoration of Colonel Peter Schuyler, a New Jersey hero of the French and Indian wars, and of "The Jersey Blues," first uniformed as such by Captain Hart, later a signer of the Declaration of Independence (erected 1916 by the New Jersey group, Society of Founders and Patriots)
5. a stone seat with bronze inscription recording the setting aside of the present park as the town's Training Place, in 1669 (erected, 1916, by the Daughters of the Revolution of New Jersey).
In the NW corner of the park stands the venerable old Trinity Church, being in part the original structure erected in 1743-44.
|Copyright 1998 - 2018 Glenn G. Geisheimer|