June 19, 1881 - Shooting
For years Shooting Park had fallen into disrepair and in May of 1903 Shooting Park became Electric Park. Charles A. Dunlap invested a large amount of money into the renovations. Two hundred men were employed to do the work needed for the transformation. The centerpiece of the park was a huge electric fountain, designed by Mr. Dunlap. The west side of the park, adjoining the Vailsburg Board Track had an open-air vaudeville pavilion. The entrance to the park had an imposing arch which was lit with electric lights at night. An indoor area was used for dancing and on rainy days the theatrical performances. An electric powerhouse was used to illuminate the park at night. The admission was ten cents.
The opening day saw 20,000 visitors come through the gates. They were entertained by Fay, the Dance King and McMahon, a champion high diver. George Neville and his vaudeville company provided the theatrical entertainment.
On December 31, 1911 the New York Giants met the Ironsides in an indoor
baseball game. The park, in that form, lasted until 1912. Today it is
the site of Vailsburg Park.
|Copyright 1998 - 2021 Glenn G. Geisheimer|